You’re selling your home and you have a showing today! Great! Getting people in the door is half the battle so you’re on the right track.
Now is your home ready?
- floors are cleaned…check!
- beds are made…..check!
- no laundry lying around….check!
- drapes/curtains are open to let in lots of light…..check!
- front walkway/landscaping looks beautiful to add curb appeal…..check!
It sounds like you’re home is ready to impress, but wait….how does it smell?
- Did you pop some popcorn earlier?
- Can you smell the garlic from last night’s dinner?
- Does the trash need to go out?
- Is there a dirty diaper lying around?
You may think you’d notice these things right away and if you don’t smell it then you’r fine, but not always the truth. Someone walking into the home may smell something immediately that your nose has become neutral to. So is your home smelling to sell?
To sell your home you want light, clean and neutralizing smells. There are lots of things you can do to neutralize smells. For example, place all old shoes in a plastic covered bin or remove all pet cages/toys/bedding for a showing. But, you always want to add light smells that seem inviting. Research suggest that smells affect buying behavior. Simple smells like lemon, orange and cinnamon encourage warmth and revisits, making the buyer comfortable and wanting to be in your home again and again. Find out more about the research behind smells and buying behavior and what you can do to make your home smell to sell!
Also, be sure to visit our Sip & Shop event on August 20th from 12pm-2pm at 17 Franklin Ave, Plainville where a doTerra consultant will be present. Buy a diffuser and some light, clean oils to help add the smell of buying to your home!